Thursday, March 15, 2012

Corn, Pumpkin & Saffron Risotto

I'm back from my three day hiatus. I needed a bit of a break from writing just to well, chill the fuck out. I went to the beach yesterday for a swim and read my book for four hours. It was soooo good!

I was inspired by the Fregola, Corn and Cornbread at Duke Bistro, I needed to get me some of that corn goodness and didn't want to cough up for it (after all, I'm on my lady of leisure budget which doesn't pay as well as a full time job). I had some fresh Salmon fillets and figured a corn risotto side would go down well. I was so right...



Corn, Pumpkin & Saffron Risotto

20mins prep time, approx. 30 mins cooking time, serves 4

olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ leek thinly sliced
1 cup risotto rice
splash white wine
1L fresh chicken stock liquid
1 cup shredded pumpkin
1 cup corn (cut fresh from corn cobs)
pinch saffron
sea salt
freshly shaved Parmesan cheese for garnish and to taste (optional)
  1. Melt the butter in a risotto pan with a splash of olive oil.
  2. Add the leek and stir until coated.
  3. Add the risotto rice and stir continuously until coated, then add a generous splash of white wine, continue stirring.
  4. Pour in some of the chicken stock liquid (approx. 125ml) and stir through the rice, as it evaporates add more and continue stirring.
  5. Stir through the saffron and pumpkin, then some stock. Stir in the corn.  
  6. Taste and add fresh sea salt if needed.
  7. Follow the basic process for risotto by alternating between adding the liquid stock and stirring. Do this until the rice is almost cooked and there is still liquid left in the pan so the risotto is sloppy. If the 1L stock is not enough, add warm water until the risotto is ready.
  8. Turn the heat off and serve immediately.
  9. If desired, add Parmesan to taste and garnish.
Tips
  • Next time I'd whizz the corn to shred it to pieces so it releases that corn creaminess.
  • You will need to stir continuously until the dish is cooked/finished. Risotto should never be left unattended or unstirred. Continuously stirring releases the rice's glutinous quality which is what makes the risotto creamy.
  • Risotto should be sloppy or soupy i.e runny, as opposed to dry. Also it should be slightly crunchy. Once the heat is turned off, the rice will continue to absorb the liquid and cook through, so by the time its served; its ready. In the picture above, I had let the risotto sit for approx. 15mins (not advised) hence why all the liquid had been absorbed. Risotto is best served immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment