Friday, March 2, 2012

Restorative & Meditative Yoga with a Side of Meat

I'm not a yogi. There's only so much hummus I'll eat and I'm so no about raw food unless it's sashimi. Oh yeah, and I love my freaking meat (in case you hadn't noticed already). Yet I do enjoy taking the odd yoga class.

Last night I took my new favourite class: Restorative and Meditative Yoga. After it I feel like a million bucks. Balanced, content and with a clear mind to take on anything life throws my way.


This is not the type of class where you sweat it out and do your power moves. It's all about doing postures that relax you and restore your energy levels. You hold the same posture for quite a while and focus intently on your breathing throughout it.

One of the hardest things is to keep your mind focused on the breathing alone. It's so easy for random thoughts to pop into your head and distract you. The instructor tells the class to acknowledge those thoughts then move on, get back to your breathing.

To take an hour to yourself to connect with your body through any form of exercise, is peanuts in the scheme of things. Yet so much benefit can be derived from it.

I'm pretty slack with sticking to an exercise plan, but I will commit throughout Meditative March, aside from my regular walking, to go to at least one yoga class a week.

What form of movement will you commit to?

No comments:

Post a Comment